Moving to Australia to work as a midwife can be a complex and time-consuming process. To be able to work in Australia as a midwife, you will need to register as a midwife, obtain an appropriate visa and fulfill English-language requirements.

Useful InformationPhoto by Harsh Jadav on Unsplash


To become registered as a midwife in Australia, you need to lodge an application with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) which is the body that regulates midwifery.


To be able to work in Australia, you will need a visa. Information about visas can be found on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) website.

Some visas require that you go through a skills assessment. DIAC will inform you if a skills assessment is required as part of your visa application. Skills assessments for midwives are carried out by an organisation called the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC). ANMAC has an extensive FAQ web page which will probably answer many of your questions.

The Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement

If you are a New Zealand midwife, you may register to be a midwife in Australia under the Trans Tasman Recognition Agreement.

If you are a New Zealand citizen you may work in Australia with a Special Category Visa. However, if you wish to move to Australia and apply for permanent residency, you will need to undergo a modified skills assessment with ANMAC.

English language requirements

You are exempt from language testing if you are a midwife registered with the New Zealand Midwifery Council and applying for Australian registration under the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement.

To register as a midwife in Australia, you are required to provide evidence that you meet English language proficiency requirements. AHPRA provide a web page that may assist you with understanding the requirements.