Refresher Program for Midwives
This program has been designed by the Australian College of Midwives (ACM) and is open to all midwives holding general registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA). The program refreshes midwives' existing knowledge and skills by drawing on current evidence, research and practice. This is a theory-based package.
Please Note: The Labour & Birth Refresher and Postnatal Refresher courseswill be provided in a PDF format, as part of our BETA version.
The Program delivers 37 hours of learning across the Core modules. Midwives have access to an additional 16 Elective hours as well as the ACM webinar recording library offering over 60 hours of additional learning opportunity. You can access the flyer here
- Introduction to contemporary midwifery practice in Australia;
- Assessment and management of the antenatal period including common pregnancy variations;
- Assessment and management of labour and birth;
- Assessment and management of the postnatal period;
- Assessment and management of neonatal resuscitation; and
- Assessment and management of breastfeeding, including common complications.
- Epidural & Spinal Analgesia (3 CPD hours)
- Continence Management (8 CPD hours)
- Dehydration Management (8 CPD hours)
- Professional Peer Review (5 CPD hours)
- Midwifery Initiated Oral Health (16 CPD hours)
Learning Outcomes: Midwives will be able to align their existing skills and experience to their refreshed knowledge of contemporary midwifery practice.
On successful completion of all Core modules midwives will be able to print out their own certificate of completion
Please allow up to 2-3 business days for your application to be processed. If you have any questions regarding this program, you're welcome to get in touch with us via 1300 360 480.
Midwives looking to refresh their clinical skills can start by contacting our Midwifery Refresher Partners.
Midwives must typically meet the NMBA Recency of Practice Registration Standard and hold a general registration to undertake a clinical refresher. Midwives needing to update clinical skills to meet regulatory requirements such as conditions on registration will need to follow the guidelines of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency for re-entry to practice.
Midwifery Refresher Partners
The image linked with this page was taken by Lacey Barratt Photography and has been used with the artist and families permission.
- After purchasing an ACM E-Learning Course you will be sent an email within 2-3 business days containing instructions on how to access the course . The instructions will be seperate to your receipt of purchase.
- This activity can be used to count towards your continuous professional development. It is the participants responsibility to keep a record of the completion of this activity for the purposes of self-recorded CPD.
- Purchases of Midwives Learn E-Learning Courses may be tax deductible.