Midwifery Initiated Oral Health
The Midwifery Initiated Oral Health (MIOH) e-learning course has been designed to provide qualified midwives with the necessary skills for assessing and initiating oral health care for women during pregnancy and postnatal.
This course was prepared by the Centre for Oral Health Outcomes & Research Translation in collaboration with Centre for Applied Nursing Research, Sydney & South Western Sydney Local Health Districts, Sydney Dental Hospital, Western Sydney University and the Australian College of Midwives (ACM). It is supported by the NSW Centre for Oral Health Strategy.
By completing this e-learning course, midwives will have the opportunity to:
- expand their knowledge of oral health in women during pregnancy and postnatal;
- develop confidence in their clinical practice in the field of oral health and associated care requirements; and
- provide evidence to their colleagues that they are professionally capable to initiate oral health care plans for women.
Are you eligible for sponsorship?
Over 250 Victorian midwives have already completed the Midwifery Initiated Oral Health course, and transferred their new found knowledge over to their practice. The great news is that Dental Health Services Victoria (DHSV) will continue sponsoring Victorian-based midwives who are currently employed in an antenatal care or midwifery education role. To check if you are eligible for this opportunity, complete the following checklist...
If you are interested in learning more about this course, please call our Education Unit on (08) 7129 4431. You may also wish to review the following resources:
- Course Overview
- Media Release: Midwives sink their teeth into oral health
- Midwives, Mothers & Good Oral Health Care: How are they linked?
- Midwifery Initiated Oral Health Newsletter, June 2018
- Unfortunately, our e-learning discounts for ACM members does not apply for this product.
- After purchasing an ACM E-Learning Course you will be sent an email within 2-3 business days containing instructions on how to access the course . The instructions will be seperate to your receipt of purchase.
- This activity can be used to count towards your continuous professional development. It is the participants responsibility to keep a record of the completion of this activity for the purposes of self-recorded CPD.
- Purchases of Midwives Learn E-Learning Courses may be tax deductible.