The Council is a standing committee of the Board consisting of a representative of each state and territory, which provides advice and support to the Board in accordance with its terms of reference and promotes service provision at the regional level.
- supports the Board by monitoring the professional and strategic environment for midwives and the midwifery profession, including research, regulation and resourcing at sub-national levels;
- supports the Board to identify opportunities at the sub-national level, particularly in relation to business development and advocacy;
- supports the Board in monitoring Branch activities, including consistent implementation of strategies, sharing lessons and innovations, and ongoing understanding, responsiveness and flexibility in responding to specific sub-national environments;
- supports Branches to communicate with and advise the Board on issues, systems and policies relating to Branch planning, management, and reporting;
- supports Branches to understand, provide input into and effectively implement College strategies in line with Board requirements, including improved capitalisation on opportunities for collaboration and increased efficiency.