PNG Buddy Leadership Workshop #3
PNG Buddy Leadership Workshop #3 August 2020 – Postponed due to COVID-19
The Rotary Club of Morialta, Australian College of Midwives, the Rotary Club of Pt Moresby and the PNG Midwives Society have been keeping abreast of the growing concerns related to COVID-19 and the resulting travel restrictions by countries and bans on the number of people meeting in a group.
As the safety of the midwives involved in the project is our primary concern we have made the decision to postpone the 3rd workshop in Papua New Guinea (PNG) that was planned for August of this year.
At this time, we are unable to advise of new dates as we are waiting to see how the pandemic and associated health restrictions unfurl.
When it is safe to do so we will look to undertake the 3rd and final workshop of this program.
In the meantime, the Australian Workshop 1 and Workshop 2 midwives will continue to engage with their PNG buddies utilising various modes of technology and the PNG midwives will continue to forge ahead with their projects and initiatives. The Australian midwife buddies utilise zoom (a video conferencing services) to connect locally and will continue to do so under the guidance of their Facilitator Dr Helen Hall as these connections allow for shared learning, support and progress updates.
Workshop 1 Midwife buddies are coming to the end of their formal engagement, and we are excited to see strong relationships established and communication channels and practices are being embedded for long lasting friendships and connections.
Some of the projects that have been initiated so far include:
- Ellie & Bridget: Early Parenting and Family Planning education sessions at PAU.
- Julie & Monica: Increase partners involvement in pregnancy care at PoM General Hospital.
- Mirena & Vanessa: Addressing the high rate of teenage pregnancy seen at local clinics.
- Nancy & Jane: Had commenced investigating support and resources needed for cervical screening by midwives in rural PNG, however Nancy has been successful in gaining a scholarship place at Flinders University to study for her midwifery masters and will be undertaking this as her project.
- Jacinta & Michelle: Implementation of guardian/support person with labouring women in PoM General Hospital.
- Fabiana & Lesley: Improvement management of anaemia in pregnancy at Paradise Private Hospital.
If you would like to support the PNG Buddy program or any of the initiatives that the PNG Midwives are undertaking you can do so by donating to the Rotary Australia World Community Service (RAWCS)
You can read more about the project here