Join over 5000 midwives and consumers, and help shape maternity care in Australia
The ACM is the voice of midwives in Australia; supporting and representing midwives, and leading the Australian midwifery profession.
As a not-for-profit membership organisation, our focus is on supporting our members throughout their midwifery career; providing access to resources and evidence-based information, support to network and build community with their midwifery colleagues, and opportunities to develop professionally so that they can offer the best care possible to the mothers and babies of Australia.
We represent and support midwives in all professional capacities: to government, in the media, and in the workplace; we advocate for midwifery; and we lobby for woman-centred
Our Vision: Enabling women to be strong and confident mothers
Our Mission: Midwifery is the primary profession for quality maternity care
ACM works tirelessly, lobbying state and federal governments, and working with regulatory bodies on behalf of midwives and midwifery.
We represent midwifery in the media and speak up when midwives are not being heard. Members can become involved in the development of policy and position statements on a diverse range of subjects, from regulations within healthcare institutions to specific guidelines in response to new research and evidence…
ACM is the governing body for the Baby Friendly Health Initiative (BFHI) in Australia, protecting, promoting and supporting breastfeeding as the best start for babies.
Recent policy work includes:
• Lobbying government and jurisdictions to improve working conditions for Privately Practicing midwives, including the implementation of a sustainable insurance program
• National Midwifery Guidelines for Consultation and Referral
• Position statements released on Birthing on Country statement endorsed by peak bodies for health and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, home birth, water birth, Vitamin K administration to babies, and co-sleeping and bed-sharing.
ACM creates a wealth of education and training for midwives to support you throughout your career, wherever you choose to practice.
We offer CPD via an online learning platform, so you can maintain your professional requirements at your convenience.
• ACM provides access to peer review via the Midwifery Practice Review program
• ACM hosts over 70 events across Australia annually, with a balance of practical and research-based content
• Our National Conference brings international speakers and cutting edge research to Australian midwives
• ACM offers research and networking opportunities to support midwives at all stages of your professional development
• ACM also hosts a job board, bringing new opportunities to members first
• National and state scholarships available
Membership includes a subscription to all ACM publications:
• Internationally renowned, peer-reviewed Women and Birth Journal
• Australian Midwifery News Magazine (a quarterly print magazine)
• Branch Matters, the monthly online magazine about all the activities in our state branches.
• State and National newsletters
• Discounts and offers exclusive to members
• Big discounts on events
• Free journey to work insurance
• Legal advice
• Significant reduction on membership fees for students and graduates
• Professional identity and networking