FAQ - Insurance & Exemption


Click on the questions that are relevant to you below to see the corresponding answers. Come back to the top of the FAQ by clicking on the 'Back to top of FAQ' links on the page.

How do I apply for an exemption?

If you are a PPM, you do not need to apply for the exemption. It will automatically extend to any registered midwife providing intrapartum labour and birth care at home. However, there are a few things you must do if you want the exemption to apply to your practice.

(back to top)

What must I do if I want to provide intrapartum midwifery services at home?

Once you make the decision to provide intrapartum care to a woman planning a birth at home in your home state or territory without insurance, you will need to do three key things and have proof that these things are being done in case of audit by the NMBA

  1. Gain the informed consent of the woman identifying that she understands the midwife does not hold insurance for intrapartum midwifery care at home.
    The National Law says "informed consent means written consent given by a woman after she has been given a written statement by a midwife that includes
  • a statement that appropriate professional indemnity insurance arrangements will not be in force in relation to the private midwife's practise of midwifery; and
  • any other information required by the National Board."

  1. Submit data about the woman's care to the midwife's relevant state/territory perinatal data agency, and

  2. Be able to demonstrate, if audited, that you are working in accordance with any safety and quality requirements as required by the Nursing and Midwifery Board. This includes the Safety and Quality Guidelines for Privately Practising Midwives.

(back to top)

What do I need to know about insurance?

Here are some questions we would recommend that you ask of MIGA (but are not limited to):

What midwifery practice does your insurance policy cover?
What exclusions to the policy are there?  (all insurance policies have exclusions)
What is the maximum amount of a claim that the policy will respond to?
What does the policy provide support for?  In the event of a claim arising, what will this insurance do for me?
What do I have to do to maintain my entitlement for this insurance over time?
What are my responsibilities for reporting under this policy?
What price is your policy?  Are there any alternative price options or discounts available?
Does your policy provide for run-off cover?  (this is essential if you cease practice and a claim arises from the time when you were practising)

If run-off cover is provided what does it cost?

(back to top)

I am a PPM who is not endorsed. What about insurance for me?

Currently, there are no other insurance options for PPMs who are not endorsed. if you are not endorsed, one option is to apply for NMBA Endorsement for scheduled medicines for midwives which will then make you eligible to access the Midwifery Practice Indemnity Scheme.

(back to top)

Short and long term insurance solutions for PPMs – what are we doing?

We are currently working with stakeholders, jurisdiction and federal Australian Governments as well as the NMBA to identify short and long term insurance solutions for PPMs. Below is a Discussion Paper which outlines the issues of insurance for privately practising midwives and how we have been working to find solutions.

(back to top)