Skip to main content
Breastfeeding Challenges is Course 3 of the Breastfeeding Bundle.
Childbirth and breastfeeding is an extraordinary and challenging life event, which profoundly influences a woman's physical, social and emotional well-being.
The care, information and emotional support that the midwife offers a woman, and her chosen companions sets the scene to protect the woman's physical well-being and nurture her emotional strengths, as she becomes a mother.
This course addresses 12 to 20 of the twenty core competencies that the Baby Friendly Health Initiative (BFHI) considers essential skills for all personnel who counsel and assist breastfeeding women.
• Counsel a mother who thinks she does not have enough milk.
• Counsel a mother with an unsettled baby.
• Counsel a mother on selecting and using an alternative feeding method.
• Counsel a mother whose baby is refusing to breastfeed.
• Counsel a mother who has flat or inverted nipples.
• Counsel a mother with engorged breasts.
• Counsel a mother with sore or cracked nipples.
• Counsel a mother with mastitis.
• Support a mother to breastfeed a low-birth-weight, preterm or sick baby.
Birthing on Country
Congenital CMV: Prevention is in your hands