Home  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Useful Links  |  Branches  |  Employment  |  Search  
   Location : Home > Professional Development > Information for Midwives > Midwives and Insurance

Midwives and Insurance

There are a number of registration standards and regulatory requirements which all midwives have to meet. One of the requirements relates to holding professional indemnity insurance (PII). Under section 129 (1) of the 2010 Health Practitioner Regulation National Law, a health practitioner must not practise the health profession in which the practitioner is registered unless appropriate professional indemnity insurance arrangements are in force. 

If a midwife practises midwifery without appropriate PII arrangements in place, this is an offence in subsection 129(1) of the National Law and the midwife is liable to action taken by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA).

For more information on this visit the NMBA’s website and click on registration standards: http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-Standards.aspx 

Most midwives meet this registration requirement by virtue of being employed.  Employed midwives do not need to purchase insurance for the midwifery care they provide as an employee, provided their employer holds a vicarious professional indemnity cover. 

However, midwives who are self-employed (in private practice), whatever the size of their caseload, need to ensure they have PII for their practice.


Related Topics

Insurance for Privately Practicing Midwives

Insurance for Medicare-Eligible Midwives

Insurance exemption for Intrapartum care at home 

VERO update

Forgotten Password?





Copyright 2011 The Australian College of Midwives. All rights reserved. | Terms Of Use

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Useful Links | Branches | Membership | Professional Development | Publications | Events | Services